About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Nimbekai Uppinakai/Lemon Pickle

         

 

Hey folks, I'm back! I have been off blogging for over a month now, haven't I ??!?! Time flies here in India... really!! :) August has been a busy month for Naveen and me. We landed in Bengalooru on the 24th of July... The first few days went by in deciding on my doctor and hospital, getting the Internet connection up and running, getting a SIM card for each of us and other such immediate necessities. I have decided to go ahead with Columbia Asia, Hebbal for my delivery.... Any suggestions/experiences/opinions regarding Columbia Asia, Hebbal are more than welcome! :)

After the major task of choosing my doctor and hospital, I was at my in-laws place for a couple of weeks at Mangalooru. Rainy season that it is in India right now, it was pouring cats and dogs in the coastal city of Mangalooru (or Mangalore, as it was known till recently).... Not that it helped in cooling down the weather in any way!!! Despite the heavy rains and the high temperatures, I managed to have a wonderful time out there... hogged on all the traditional south canara dishes, stalled the famous "Pabbas" ice cream parlor almost daily, met up with all our good friends! My in-laws had also arranged for a traditional  and elaborate "Seemantha" ceremony for me. Got done with all that and returned to Amma's place in Bangalore last week. And now that even Naveen is back to work in Mangalore, I seem to have a lot of free time in hand. I am also enjoying all the pampering while it lasts :)

Both, my Ajji (Mom's mom)  and amma, make amazing pickles. This traditional recipe for lemon pickle is theirs too. Glad that I was with amma when she was making it last time.... I got a chance to take a few pictures and learn the procedure. Though very easy to make, I must warn you before hand that this one is a very time consuming procedure and it takes a lot of patience . But once you get to taste this pickle, you will never like any of the store bought ones.  So, all you folks who love home made pickles and have the patience to wait, should definitely try this one!!

 

Ingredients:

10-12 Fresh lemons, medium sized

15-20 Dry Red Chilies, low to medium spiced

2 tsp Methi seeds

1 tsp Hing

Salt as per taste and requirement

Method:

  1. Wash and chop each lemon into 8 pieces and keep aside.
  2. In the jar that you will be using to store the pickle, drop 8-10 pieces of chopped lemon; Sprinkle a generous amount of salt all over; Continue the process for the remaining pieces as well; Close the lid of the jar tightly and keep aside for 4-5 days. Note: Make sure you pick a jar/bottle with a lid that closes tightly.
  3. Open the lid of the jar and mix thoroughly with a steel spoon; You will see that the lemons would have given out enough water because of the salt.
  4. Close the lid of the jar tightly and keep aside for another 20 days; Remember to mix thoroughly, once in every two days.
  5. Dry roast red chilies, methi seeds and hing until you smell the fresh aroma of the masalas. Powder the roasted masalas in a blender without adding any water.
  6. Add the powdered masalas to the salted lemons and mix thoroughly; Keep aside for 2 days.
  7. Relish with dosas, rotis, parathas, idli, curd rice or just some hot steamed plain rice!

Prep Time: About 30-40 mins, excluding storage time;

Makes: Enough to fill a 500ml bottle;

28 comments:

Lakshmi said...

slurrp! uppinakayi looks delicious :) Take Care

Unknown said...

Lemon Pickle looks delicious, yes enjoy your time. Once the baby comes all the pampering will be taken over by the baby.

Priya Suresh said...

Slurppp!!spicy pickle looks tremendous..

vini said...

hey ramya,

congrats first of all for the baby to be born soon. I have been following your blog for quite sometime but never commented though. Regarding hospitals in bengaluru, make sure they do consider normal delivery option and not insist only on c section

ವನಿತಾ / Vanitha said...

Hi Ramya,
Nice to see the update from u..Picle looks yummy..mom was preparing in the same way without red chillies..
Take care dear and enjoy ..

Unknown said...

Tongue tickles seeing the pic! :)

Sharmila said...

Thanks a lot for this recipe Ramya! I have always wanted to make lemon pickle by myself ... now I can! I can see no sugar is added ... and another thing ... do we have keep the bottle in the sun or just keeping it in the kitchen shelf will do? Thanks. :-)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Everyone,

Thanx people! glad y'all like it :)

@Sharmila,
You do not have to keep in sunlight as such.. even the kitchen shelf will work!! Good luck :)

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Explorer,

Thanx for your wishes! Glad to know you follow Mane Adige regularly... Good to read your comment as well! Thanx for the suggestion. Will make it a point to ask my doctor when I visit her next.

Savi-Ruchi said...

colombia Asia is a very nice & expensive (!!) hospital. My friend had her delivery there. Main adv in that hospital is.., they dont push patients for C-section (heard about that.., but not very sure though). All the best Ramya. Enjoy this wonderful phase of life. Pickle looks yum.., eat as much as possible now.., they dont give pickles after delivery (atleast for 2 months)..

Unknown said...

wow.. what a colour.. Looks really yummy & awesome..thxs for visiting my site & ur comment..

LifenSpice said...

hi Ramya, great to know you are having a nice time. I am missing Mlore/pabbas so much after reading your post. you take care. all the best!

Nithya said...

This is mouth watering. Yumm.. lovely pic too.

Guess i am here for the first time. Should say you have a lovely blog. Keep it going. Will be here often.

Do peep into my blogs when you find time.

Nithya
www.4thsensesamayal.blogspot.com
www.nitsarts.blogspot.com

Kannada Cuisine said...

Hey Ramya!
Trust you had a good time with the Sreemantha. I wish I could have one of those meal-like ice creams from Pabbas.
My cousin tells me that Columbia Asia is a good hospital and as expensive as any other super specialty hospital in B'lore these days. The pickles looks yummy;
Good to see you back and good luck with the baby.

Deepthi Shankar said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Deepthi Shankar said...

I love home made pickles too .. Good Luck with your delivery Ramya

kitchen queen said...

You have a nice blog very interesting you can visit my blog view my recipes and give ur comments

Parita said...

Good to know you are doing well! enjoy your time and all the pampering :)
Pickle looks stunning!

Swetha said...

Hi Ramya, You have a wonderful blog and you have something waiting at my site.... http://swethabhatta.blogspot.com/

Vanamala Hebbar said...

Nice to see u and ur recipes...looks nice hot pickle. Iam on vacation. Will be back soon. Take care

lubnakarim06 said...

Mouth watering....................very yum and my favourite pickle.....

Aps Kitchen said...

Heya....new to ur blog....Tht uppinkai is so tempting mouth watering.....my amma makes it the same way but replacement of methi to mustard seeds. Luks so gr8

Lavanya Raj said...

pickle colour tempts me!

I have Award for you. Kindly check my blog. http://homecookreceipes.blogspot.com/2009/08/awards-and-meme.html

Mayuri said...

The pickle looks deeelicious.
Will try to make it.

musical said...

Classic recipe, Ramya!

Anonymous said...

Hello Ramya

Just wanted to know why you did not wish to deliver the baby in US. People long to produce babies here. Their main intention is come to US to produce a baby.

I am a person who came to US with grown up kids. But i feel if i would have conceived in USA, i would go to India and deliver (maybe patriotic)

Just wanted to know.

GEORGE ALAN FRAMPTON said...

I'm so excited. I've been wanting this recipe for ages and could never find what I was looking for on the web. Thank you, thank you.

Unknown said...

Nice blog....Thanks for sharing... lime pickle