About Mane Adige

My photo
"Mane Adige" means "Home Food" in kannada and this blog is all about recipes that I cook. Most of the recipes I post here will be from "Mangalooru" and "Bengalooru " regions of Karnataka,India. Rest of them are the one's which I try out by improvising the recipes got from different sources.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Kumbalakai Gojju/ Sweet Pumpkin Curry


Pumpkins are called Kumbalakai in Kannada. I learnt a kind of Kumbalakai curry from my mom that I relish a lot.This curry(called gojju in kannada) can also be made with okra, raw bananas or eggplant. But the sweet tinge of the pumpkin gives an amazing taste that you would not get with any other veggie....Heres the recipe for it.

Ingredients:

2 cups Yellow/Sweet Pumpkin chopped into 1" cubes
1 cup Fresh/frozen grated coconut
2 tsp Ellu/Til/Sesame seeds
3-4 Dry Red chillis, low to medium spiced
2 tsp Hurigadale/Putaani/Channa Dhalia
1 tsp Mustard seeds
4-5 curry leaves
1/4 tsp tamarind paste
2-3 tsp Oil
1/4 tsp jaggery
A pinch of hing
salt as per tatse

Method:
  1. Heat oil in a kadai. Temper with mustard seeds, curry leaves and haldi.

  2. Add chopped sweet/yellow pumpkins and cook covered until they become soft. Add very little (as little as 2-3 tsp) water while cooking.

  3. Meanwhile, dry roast Ellu/Til and dry red chillies until you smell the fresh aroma of the masala.

  4. Grind the roasted masala with chana dahlia,hing, coconut and mustard seeds to a smooth paste.

  5. Add the masala paste to the pumpkins after they are cooked completely. Add water and allow it to boil.

  6. To this add tamarind paste, jaggery, salt and boil well.

  7. Serve hot with rice and enjoi!!

16 comments:

Sia said...

i remember amma making this gojju ramya. donno why i never made anything using kumbalakai after coming here. ur recipe and pic r tempting me to buy one small pumpkin and cook this. may be i will, sometime very soon:)

FH said...

Ramya,I cook this way with Butternut squash,I love it with Dose and chutney.Kumbalkai sigolla illi,butternut squash sigutte.Enjoy madi!:))

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Sia,

Yeah... do try it out. Its one of my fav dishes ever!! :)

@Asha,

Kumbalakai sigolla??!! Thats surprising....I pick it up from Indian stores.
And like you said, it does go really well with dosa!! So everytime amma made dosa, I would ask her to make kumbalakai gojju to go with it!! :)

Anonymous said...

Tumba chennagi kanista ide ramya. Next time kumbalkayi tandu try madtini. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hey Ramya, interesting recipe.. shall give a try next time when i get kumbalakai..

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@Shilpa, Suma

Glad you liked it. Sure, try it out and let me know... :)

Sharmi said...

I too make Gojju with sweet pumpkin. it tastes great, but no coconuts. ur version looks good.

Roopa said...

Ramya it looks great!we do make something similar too
kumbalkayi yavagalu namma manelli bidratte, i keep it mostly when i am short of veges i don't have to run to buy some!

DEEPA said...

Yummy Ramya !!!!Will surely try this out man ....

Ramya's Mane Adige said...

@ Sharmi, Roopa, Deepa,

Thanx a lot, girls!! Gald you liked it :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Thanks for the recipe....I prepared it today and loved it.

Setu

Anonymous said...

Hello Ramya.
Just today I brought home a slice of Kumbalakai from a Chinese supermarket , Quincy, Mass. USA. I remembered tasting Kumbalakai Gojju while I was in mangalore years ago. I stumbled into your recipe while looking for how to cook it. I will definitely try your recipe a few minutes later. Thanks for posting.
Benny

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recipe. My mom used to make it exactly like this! Mouth watering!

Jyotsna said...

I followed the recipe exactly and it came out amazing! Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe :) :)

Unknown said...

Great yummy recipe from red pumpkin ma"m,when there was nothing to cook, we only had that one, amazing all of us loved this dish with rice. I am a cook in an ashram, thanks for the recipee madam

TechScribe said...

Wow. It came out yummy. I must have slightly changed the quantities of some of the ingredients like Hurigadale and Chillies. But stuck to the recipe on the overall. It came out amazing. Thanks a ton for the share Ramya.